History of the

College
Maulana Azad College inherits a history of progressive development since December 9, 1926, when Islamia College was founded by Lord Lytton, the then Governor of Bengal.

This came as a culmination of sustained efforts of contemporary Muslim leaders like A. K. Fazul Haq, Syed Nawad Ali Choudhury and Sir Abdul Rahim. The object was to promote Islamic learning and general education among the Muslim subjects of British India.

Immediately after independence, the College was renamed Central Calcutta College and its doors were opened to all students irrespective of caste, creed and religion.

In 1960, the college was renamed Maulana Azad College in memory of the great national leader and eminent scholar, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. From its initiation the college became an affiliate of the University of Calcutta.

In 1996-97 the College was declared a co-educational institution and from then girls forms a significant proportion of our students. The college experienced great pride in celebrating its Platinum Jubilee in 2001.